Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Thing 4 - Keeping Up

This was fun to set up.   I was having breakfast with a friend and told him about my 23 things webinar.  I logged into the restaurant's wifi and did thing 4 right there while he watched!  I installed the Zite app.  This was really easy.  I have used RSS readers before on my PC Through my email client.  Its was actually hard to setup and not intuitive.   Zite was easy.  I was surprised that you have to set up 4 sources to get started.  I am really busy right now and I did not want to follow any more than one source.  I signed up for Library Technology Guides - the only library tech source.   The Lib Tech Guides article are presented by Zite in a nice interface. I am getting used to this "gesture" thing.  I choose to read a story on the Evergreen open source ILS system implantation at the Homer Public Library in Alaska.  I heard about Evergreen during my technical services classes at Minneapolis Community and Technical College while studying for my AS in Library Information Technology.

I also looked at an article from the Atlantic.  I see that Zite takes you to the underlying site.  I am also an American  civil war buff.  I saw a post from a blog called the Civil War Daily Gazette .  This blog writer follows the war day by day 150 years later.  Today on May 28th Grant was moving toward Richmond now only 12 miles away. The bloodiest year of the war would soon reach a climax at Cold Harbor on June 3 only a few days from now. 

I could really get to like this.  I want to dig into Zite deeper but I have to sign off now to run some errands and get ready for work.  This was a great thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment