Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Thing 3 - Utilities

This was a lot of fun.  I installed the Redlaser QR scanner and the Free WI-FI Finder.   I will mkae use of both these handy utilities.  I tested Redlaser on a package of M and M's and it worked fine.  I can see how I now going to have to keep my iPad under lock and key.  MY wife has already discovered how much fun it is to surf her crafting and scrap booking sites with it.  If she finds out that she can scan bar codes, get coupons and shopping deals with Redlaser then its all over - I will buying a second device.  I used it to finally verify the QR code I created some time ago for business card.  The code is a link to my LinkedIn site.  I can say it works fine.  Now I hae to go into my profile and update it a bit.   The library where I work out in Delano MN does not use QR codes.  If they do I have not noticed them. I can see now how handy this would be to promote specific items in the library and reading in general. The library is always struggling to promote and publish its events.  This would also be a great way to make reader's advisories handy to patrons as they browse the stacks.  The downside of this is the time it would take to produce the QR codes, print them and distribute them.   I had to go to a special site to get my QR code.  I see from a quick search that there are several apps for sale.  It probably would not be difficult to set up a little system to produce them.

The wifi finder was fun to use.   I was able to see free sites near where I work and live.  I was surprised to see so many restaurants especially chains running free sites.  It makes sense.  If you want someone to hang around these days and buy more coffee and food then allowing them to use their devices and stay connected is the way to go.  This will be very handy.


No comments:

Post a Comment